Thursday, November 09, 2017

Thursday Thirteen #525

I am one of the many hundreds of thousands of people who have a problem with inflammation. From my reading, some of this is genetic. Some is diet. Some is stress. Some is . . . well, who knows. I have tried anti-inflammatory diets in the past and did not find them helpful. If they made me feel better, it wasn't noticeably so.

While we were at Virginia Beach a few weeks, I noticed I felt better. On the way home, as soon as we topped Afton Mountain outside of Charlottesville and were in a higher altitude, I felt my fingers begin to swell, as if I were retaining fluid. This was, in fact, noticeable.

The question of whether altitude causes inflammation apparently hasn't been scientifically answered (or even studied, from what I can find), but since at least one person has asked the question online, I am not the only one to wonder.

Anyway, I think it is time I return to an anti-inflammatory diet, so here are 13 foods that supposedly make a difference in how you feel.

There are more than 13 foods that help inflammation, of course. These are the ones I can eat. Some, like onions, are probably very good for you, but I have a propensity to develop ulcers and things like onions and peppers tend to not help that.

1. Whole grains: Eat these to gain more fiber, which has been associated with fewer signs of inflammation. They also have a lower glycemic index, for those watching blood sugar levels. My favorite is brown rice.

2. Berries and tart cherries: Fruit in general is high in antioxidants, and berries in particular have anti-inflammatory properties because they contain healthy polyphenols and anthocyanins. I like blueberries. My husband uses cherry juice all the time to keep his gout at bay.

3. Olive oil: This plant-based fat is great for a heart-healthy diet and contains healthy oleic acid. It’s also delicious and fits in well with the Mediterranean diet. This is, for the most part, the only oil I use.

4. Cruciferous vegetables: Vegetables in the cabbage family contain numerous nutrients, including antioxidants, which protect the body from the free radicals which can prompt inflammation. I liked cooked cabbage but I don't eat enough of it. This is a food I need to add.

5. Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that may reduce inflammation in the lungs and elsewhere in the body. I love tomatoes but don't eat them as often as I should. I also am not sure that hybrid tomatoes really do the job.

6. Leafy greens: Spinach, kale and other dark leafy greens contain an abundance of healthy compounds including vitamin E, calcium, iron, and phytochemicals that help reduce inflammation. I like leafy greens but my husband will only eat kale.

7. Apples: Apples, like most other fruits, contain healthy phytonutrients that help protect against age-related diseases. I used to eat more apples but since my gallbladder surgery, they seem to bother me.

8. Nuts: Walnuts contain omega-3s, almonds and macadamias contain oleic acid, and nearly all nuts contain antioxidants — key ingredients in helping the body fight inflammation. Many nuts and their oils are also considered healthy fats. I like almonds.

9. Ginger and turmeric: These two spices often found in Indian food have anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric contains curcumin, a particularly potent anti-inflammatory compound. If these flavors don’t appeal to you, try supplements. I have tried turmeric supplements and they upset my stomach.

10. Carrots: Carrots are rich in the antioxidant beta-carotene, which helps reduce free radicals in the body. I like carrots, but they are also a bit hard on my stomach since I had my gallbladder removed.

11. Low-fat dairy: Dairy can prompt inflammation in certain sensitive people, but high-quality and low-fat dairy products like good cheese and yogurt are an excellent source of protein, probiotics, and calcium. I eat a lot of non-fat yogurt.

12: Sweet Potatoes: Another healthy carbohydrate, sweet potatoes also contain fiber, antioxidants, and the phytonutrient beta carotene. We have discovered bags of steamed sweet potatoes, which turn out very good.

13: Tea: White, green, and oolong tea in particular contain phytonutrients and flavonoids which help reduce inflammation. I drink black tea every morning, and need to add a cup of green tea in the afternoon.

Another food is fish, but I stopped eating fish several years ago after I developed a severe sore throat every time I ate it. We never could figure out if it was simply shellfish or other fish that was perhaps cooked in shellfish grease, and it made me too sick to try to experiment, so I simply gave up all fish. I miss it but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Here's to healthy eating. The foods from the list came from this website. Check it out for the 7 I left off.

________
 
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 525th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

9 comments:

  1. My Beloved Sandra and I are both VERY aware of this list and are conscientious about dietary anti-inflammatories. Sadly, due to my use of blood thinners, several categories are either no-no or BEWARE! for me (ie cruciferous veg, most dark leafies, and nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that diet plays a big part in how I feel. I gave up soda and cut my carbs a couple of years ago. I feel so much better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel better at the beach. I think because of all the negative ions at the ocean. But then when we leave I seem to crash. Is the inflammation on the outside, the inside or both? How would they test for that and what symptoms does it cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've already been tested for Gout, and don't have it, so for general inflammation, not related to that, I take something an herbal called ziflamin, but don't see it on the web- there is something similar but it's mostly Turmeric. Turmeric is good for inflammation. You can take that and it's been used for thousands of years.
    Colleen's is right. The ocean really does make you feel better, and for that reason.
    Diet has a lot to do with curbing inflammation. If you like cabbage, you would probably like the other members of it's family, too. Kale is delicious in stir fries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a strange day. Duh, you can't take turmeric. The product I use is Zyflamend. And it's mostly turmeric so you can't take it. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grains—even whole grains—raise blood sugar levels in diabetics. At least they do for me, and—from what I hear— a lot of other diabetics. Plus I'm gluten sensitive, so I avoid grains altogether. Apples and sweet potatoes are also bad for my blood sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a pretty healthy diet anyway, so why not?

    ReplyDelete
  8. White tea is really good, but not very easy to find (at least where I live) and expensive. I love fish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.