Friday, April 24, 2009

Books: Orchid Blues

Orchid Blues
By Stuart Woods
Copyright 2002
Audiobook
Read by Dick Hill & Susie Breck
7 hours


I picked this up simply because it was read by Dick Hill. Good story.

Holly is chief of police at Orchid Beach. On her wedding day her fiancee is shot and killed in a bank robbery.

Ham, Holly's father, volunteers to help her out when things start getting weird with the robbery investigation.

Holly follows a hunch and finds out an extremist group (think that Tim McVey guy who blew up the Oklahoma federal building in the early 1990s) is responsible. The FBI is already involved but Ham ends up infiltrating the group because as an ex-super-army dude he has sharp shooter skills.

The characters involved with the group are a very scary lot. They want to take over the country.

My only quibble with the book was Holly's superficial reaction to her boyfriend getting blown away. She also has been in the Army and that was supposed to explain it but I felt like that wasn't handled as well as it could have been. But once we got away from that and into Ham's infiltration of this group the book moved along.

My husband would have liked this book, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.