Monday, July 28, 2008

At 10 p.m.

Around 10 p.m. last night, the house began to shake.

The sounds of a low-flying helicopter forced us to rise from our half-asleep stupor as we lounged on the couch watching Ice Road Truckers.

I figured it was Army choppers flying across to wherever they go. They do that though usually not so low that it makes the dishes dance in the cupboard.

My husband went to the garage and hollered for me to follow.

The helicopter had a search light and was flying all around the farm. We watched as it went down behind the hill in front of the house.

"It either just landed or crashed in the hayfield," I said. We couldn't see exactly what had happened.

Was it a police chopper? My husband thought it might be. He feared a break out at the penitentiary five miles down the road.

So he hurried into his clothes. "Lock all the doors and call Daddy and make sure he's alright," he said as he rushed out.

I roused my father-in-law, who sleepily said he thought something must be going on because he heard a racket.

My husband called just moments later. "It's Lifeguard 10," he said.

This service, Virginia's first helicopter transport, is called only in dire emergencies.

A neighbor was seriously ill and in need of evacuation. The hospital's helicopter had made a landing and was preparing to move the patient.

My husband, the firefighter-EMT, stayed to assist and to offer support to the neighbors. He even drove a mile or so down the road to one of the neighbor's sons' houses and picked him up and brought him back.

Several other neighbors have called this morning to ask what the commotion was all about.

It isn't often we have search lights and helicopters making the rounds in the dark on the farm.

No word on the ill neighbor, unfortunately. I do hope she will be well.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what an adventure! It's impressive that your hubby goes into action like that, and is so quick to help others. If you do hear anything about your ill neighbor, please let us know. I'll say a prayer for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good gracious! That would have scared me to death! I sure hope she will be all right. I'm glad it was a rescue and not a helicopter crash or jail break. The army fly over here all the time too, so I can only imagine how loud it must have been to actually witness one land!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...I can imagine how distressing that must have been. I do hope your neighbor is going to be OK.
    We had a helicopter hover over our house the other day so low we could feel the air from the rotors, and our trees were waving back and forth. We still don't have any idea why!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.