Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.
1) Fats Domino sings about a hill named for blueberries. According to the Old Farmers Almanac, blueberries can grow just about anywhere in North America, as long as they have plenty of direct sunlight. Do you have a garden?
A. We do have a garden, but it has not been the most productive this year. Somehow my husband planted yellow zucchini instead of summer squash. I am not a fan of yellow zucchini. They don't seem to have much taste or eye appeal.
2) Blueberries are low in calories and rich in fiber. Are they a regular part of your diet?
A. They are not, but they should be.
3) They also have a high moisture content. Staying hydrated is important to human health. Do you drink the standard recommended 8 glasses of water every day?
A. I do.
4) Fats originally had a big hit with "Blueberry Hill" in 1956, and then enjoyed the record's renewed popularity in the mid-70s, when "Blueberry Hill" was often referenced as Richie Cunningham's favorite song. Without looking it up, do you remember what show Richie Cunningham was on? (Extra non-existent Saturday 9 points if you can also name the actor who played Richie.)
A. Richie Cunningham was the name of the son on Happy Days. He was played by Ron Howard, also known as Opie on The Andy Griffith Show.
5) Born Antoine Domino, he took the name "Fats" not just because of his physique. Growing up, jazz pianist Fats Waller was one of his heroes. If you were to adopt the first name of someone you admire, what would we call you?
A. Hillary.
6) Despite his warm and friendly stage persona, Fats was shy around strangers and hated giving interviews. Tell us about something you did only because it was part of your job, not because you enjoyed it.
A. When I began working as a "secretary," I was supposed to make coffee in the mornings. I do not drink coffee. Nor did I consider it something that should be part of someone's job. If somebody wants coffee, they can make their own coffee. But I was told to do it, so I made coffee. After about a week of my coffee, I was excused from coffee-making duty.
7) In 1956, when this record was topping the charts, the Olympics were held in Melbourne. Have you ever been to the land down under?
A. No, I have not.
8) The star of the 1956 Olympics was Austrian Toni Sailer, who won all three gold medals in Alpine skiing. Do you prefer snow skiing, water skiing, or just watching other people ski?
A. I went water skiing once. It wasn't my thing. I don't care what other people do.
9) Random question: Do you believe everyone has a jealous streak?
A. I think so, yes. It may be over different things, but I think most people become jealous over something or another. Maybe it's money, maybe it's time, maybe it's position, power, etc. Maybe it's just because you can be around dogs and I can't because of my allergies and asthma. Jealousy comes in many forms.
_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
I like the way you explained the last question. When I think of squash, I think of a simple dish my mom made. She made it before there were microwave ovens. I cut up the squash, zucchini, and or yellow squash. I put it in a glass dish and cover with water. I microwave it for about 3 minutes, then drain. I get a saucepan and sauté cut up onion. I use olive oil. Then add the squash and mix while the flame is low. I add cut up pieces of tomato and turn up the flame to medium and season with spices of your choice. Once I get the tomatoes the way I want. I transfer it to a container. I added grated cheese and it is ready to serve as a side dish. I have also made ground beef and added the squash dish to it for a main dish. Need to feed more people, add cooked pasta. You want it saucier, add canned tomato sauce and water and more spice for an all-in-one dish. You want to add more color, add corn. You want a vegetarian dish, omit the meat and add beans. Cumin the spice I like the best.
ReplyDeleteNow I'm looking back. In my five years as a secretary, I don't recall ever getting coffee. I remember doing personal stuff – going to the bank or xeroxing paperwork for my boss' wife – but not coffee. I think I'd remember, because I loathe the smell of coffee. PS Anyone who says they have never been jealous of anyone over anything is lying.
ReplyDeleteWhoever drinks the coffee should make the coffee,
ReplyDeleteIn my office we have a Keurig, everyone makes their own drink.
#9...absolutely! That was my thinking, I am just not as good with words.
ReplyDeleteI am not a coffee drinker either. I loved making it at McDonalds when I worked there, but it came in packages and you just emptied it into the machine, and it brewed. I love the smell. I am not sure I could do a coffee maker for an office. I would not know how much to add. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
When I first started teaching, a group of us had a coffee club and took turns making coffee. Very eloquent #9.
ReplyDeleteI like your answer to #6. I wouldn't do it if the thing I disliked doing was important, but coffee? Yeah, I'd be making some crappy coffee so I didn't have to keep doing it.
ReplyDelete