Saturday, January 28, 2023

Saturday 9: On the Atchison, Topeka & the Santa Fe


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Judy Garland sings about the train whistle and wheels. What sounds make you happy?

A. The sound of my husband's voice, the chirping of birds, and the notes from my guitar.
 
2) She tells us that, since she loves dreaming of train travel, she must have "a little gypsy in her heart." How about you? Do you often dream of visiting faraway places?

A. I dream of it, but I have no illusions of getting there.

3) Judy sings about a future when she's "old and gray and settled down." At what age do you consider a person is old?

A. Apparently now. Almost 60.

4) This song is from the movie, The Harvey Girls. Filming was a time of stress for Judy. She was appearing before the cameras by day (she sprained her ankle in a scene where she slips down a hill), recording the soundtrack by night, and dealing with lawyers regarding her divorce from composer David Rose. Yet watching the movie, none of the tension shows. Do you work well under pressure?

A. I was very good at meeting newspaper deadlines.

5) Judy relaxed on the set by knitting and would make blankets and caps for the children of crew members. Do you knit?

A. I have tried it. I managed a few scarves, but it honestly is not my thing.
 
6) Judy admitted she had a problem with tardiness. Do you strive to be prompt?

A. I am almost always on time. If I'm late, I generally have a good reason - car trouble, for example.
 
7) In 1946, when this song was on the radio, cigarette cases were very popular. Since these metal cases were standard issue in the Army during WWII, many soldiers got into the habit of using them and continued to after the war ended. Women often carried fabric or leather cigarette cases that closed with a clasp like a coin purse. In the 1940s, elegant cigarette cases were a fashionable gift but today, they are largely forgotten. Did you ever carry one? Do you know anyone who did?

A. I never carried a cigarette case, nor do I know anyone who did. Although for all I know, one of my grandparents did.
 
8) Also in 1946, bikinis appeared for the first time on runways in Paris. How often did you don swimwear during 2022?

A. I never donned swimwear in 2022.

9) Random question: Thinking of your past romantic involvements, were you truly in love with one of them, some of them, or all of them?

A. I was only in love with the one I married.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

8 comments:

  1. #1: Seeing your husband's voice listed literally made me go, "aw ..." I think that's terribly romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...only loved the one I married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not old!
    I love how you talk about your husband! So sweet! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. #6--I get anxious if I'm going to be late. It took me several attempts to knit before it clicked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same as you, almost always on time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "almost 60" is my daughter's age! Now I REALLY feel old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was also only in love with the man I married.
    Also, I'd love to got to Australia and travel around it, but I fear that the 17 hour flight might do me in. So I just watch documentaries about the "Out Back" and dream about seeing a wild Koala Bear. Not going to come home in a box, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.