Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Review: House of the Dragon

House of the Dragon, on HBO, is a spin-off from Game of Thrones.

I enjoyed Game of Thrones, even the somewhat messy ending.

House of the Dragon is no Game of Thrones.

Sunday night as I watched the latest episode, I thought about 40 minutes into that I really did not care if I watched any more of this show.

I do not care about the characters. There isn't a likeable one among them.

Nor do I care who keeps the throne, gets the throne, eats the throne, or does whatever on the throne. I already know who ends up on the throne in 172 years after this prequel, so what does it matter?

I have read reviews calling this masterful, etc., but I find it incredibly boring and boorish. I can find better things to do at 9 p.m. on Sundays.

For a show that premiered as the highest rated show on HBO ever, it has been the quite the letdown for me.

I like fantasy, but this isn't fantasy. This is just Dark Age overkill with a few dragons thrown in.

Entertainment Weekly has called it Epic Fantasy for Dummies, but I would go even further and call it Useless Fantasy for People with No Attention Span. It is so boring you can look away and miss five minutes of it and still know it will continue to be boring when you return your attention to it.

People riding dragons does not make good fantasy. It's just fantasy if the characters are insufferable and the world they're in is untenable.

We will likely tape the remaining episodes and watch them at some point, but this certainly is not must-see TV.

For that, check out Amazon's Rings of Power. Now that's decent fantasy. I'll review that when I've seen the whole season. I don't see myself giving up on that one half-way through.


1 comment:

  1. I don't have HBO. It is sad when the sequel does not live up to the original. I watch mostly medical series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.