Saturday, August 13, 2022

Saturday 9: W.O.L.D.


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song tells the story of a man who has made a career in radio.  How many professions have you worked in?

A. I have worked in the machine parts industry, the legal profession, journalism, photography, and internet stuff, meaning I've done some web design and I write this blog and know enough about what I'm doing to be dangerous but not good.

2) He describes himself as "45 going on 15." This morning, do you feel older or younger than your years?

A. In my head I am still young almost always, like 23 years old (except wiser). My body is another story. It doesn't feel quite as old as it is, though.

3) He estimates that he's traveled thousands of miles, from town to city, as disc jockey at various stations. Have you ever relocated for a job?

A. No.

4) This song is written as though he's reached out to an ex. Is there someone from your past who is on your mind this morning?

A. Not exactly, but for some reason I found myself wondering this morning about a former player in my city building video game fellowship. She came across as quite depressed, saying things like, "I can't lose at this game, too, I lose at everything else," and then she dropped out. As best I can tell, she never came back to the game, and I've always wondered if she was ok. I guess I'll never know.

5) Tell us about a radio personality you grew up listening to.

A. I was a big fan of American Top 40 with Casey Kasem. I had cassettes all over the place from taping those shows. I have no idea what happened to them, but I would like to hear them now. He had a smooth voice and didn't make snide commentary. The hits from coast to coast!



6) This week's featured artist, Harry Chapin, was an Oscar nominee. Before he became a musician, he wrote and directed a documentary about boxing called Legendary Champions. When you sit down to watch a movie, would you prefer action, comedy, drama, fantasy, horror, mystery, romance, thriller or documentary?

A. It depends on my mood, but I like comedy, drama, fantasy, romance, or documentaries. I am not a fan of horror, thriller, or big blow 'em up films. I will watch the latter sometimes with my husband but neither of us like horror.

7) Today Harry Chapin is fondly remembered for his philanthropy. He filled his calendar with benefit concerts that supported local food banks all around the country. How would you like to be remembered?

A. I would like to be remembered for my work for the newspaper and my efforts to keep my fellow citizens informed. Obviously, they didn't take it in, nor did it make much impact since most don't seem to understand how government works despite my efforts to teach that in my articles. But I tried.

8) In 1973, when this song was popular, one of the top-selling toys was a Curious George book packaged with a plush Curious George. Can you recall a favorite book from your childhood?

A. Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery, and Miss Osborne the Mop, by Wilson Gage.

9) Random question: Here's $100. What will you spend it on?

A. Do I have to spend it on myself? If I can give it away, I would do that, making a donation to a favorite charity or the American Heart Association. If I have to spend it on myself, I would buy clothes.

_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

6 comments:

  1. Great answers. esp # 6.. almost word for word the same as mine! I didn't think of Casey Kasem, the Wolfman popped in my mind. but they were both wonderful during my youth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son met a friend at work this summer and bought her Anne of Green Gables as a going away gift when she decided to leave the job. He has such a sweet heart.
    I can't believe Casey Kasem did not come to mind for me. I LOVE him. He is still played in repeats on a radio station here. I love it when I find his show. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pheasant feathers make a British statement. Apparently a bunch in a lovely pewter flask and Wallah! But they are pretty! I know this just from seeing them in YouTube videos. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think of Casy Kasem. They still play him on our Xirus station in the car. I loved listening to him. That is nice that you would give the money to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of similar answers today. I never feel mentally as old as I am. I read an article about that years ago...something about our generation being the first one in which a lot of us don't ever really feel grown up as we think a grown up should be. I can't remember if the article gave a reason. I wonder why it is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading all the young reader answers and am feeling very antique! lol And I like blow em ups. They sometimes help me to get rid of me aggressions. lol And neither of us like horror. Have a lovely Sunday Evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.