Saturday, May 28, 2022

Saturday 9: America, the Beautiful


Unfamiliar with Barbra Streisand's recording of this tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?

A. There are several war memorials on the Courthouse lawn.

2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.

A. My grandfather fought in World War II. My father and his brothers all served in the Army during the Korean War. My uncle Butch fought in Vietnam. Another uncle served in the Air Force.

3) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet?

A. I don't pack away my clothes. I have a very large closet and things simply get shoved to the rear or moved to the front.

4) What's your favorite picnic food?

A. Watermelon.

5) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room?

A. The air conditioner is on.

6) Lyricist Katharine L. Bates said she was inspired to write "America, the Beautiful" after a trip to Pike's Peak. What's the most beautiful spot in America that you have ever visited?

A. I think where I live is beautiful. But so is the Grand Canyon and Myrtle Beach, in their own ways.

Isn't it lovely?



7) Though we're talking summer this morning, Santa is going to get a shoutout. Before "America, the Beautiful" was published, Katharine L. Bates wrote a poem called, "Goody Santa Claus on a Sleigh" which is remembered for introducing Santa's wife, Mrs. Claus. Share a fond memory of the 2021 holiday season.

A. My brother gave me a hat. It's an engineer's hat and it's one similar to a hat I wore in a photo he found from 1976.

8) This week's featured artist, Barbra Streisand, sang "America, the Beautiful" during a benefit concert. She admitted to James Corden that she suffers from stage fright and before she performs, she prays, "Let go, let God." What's something that scares you, but that you do anyway?

A. Going to the grocery store, anymore, is a scary thing. The Covid numbers are creeping up and I seem to be the only person still wearing a mask. I go anyway. 

9) Question for a weekend when many of us will sleep in: Are you a morning person?

A. I am not a morning person, but I get up early. I used to be better at mornings but as I have aged I find I don't hit my stride until about 11 a.m. I am usually up before 7 a.m., though. Those hours in between 7 and 11, I do things on autopilot.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

4 comments:

  1. Love the lush green in that photo!
    The numbers are creeping up here, too. I went to the movies yesterday and felt a little better when I saw all the masks on my fellow theater goers. It's hard to balance commonsense caution with living life, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We mask everywhere but outside, restaurants, and Mom's. We've decided that it's just the new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same for me on #3. I just leave everything in my closet.
    Yes, where you live is gorgeous! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could see that much green where I live, which seems to be dead grass yellow most of the year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.