Saturday, February 22, 2020

Saturday 9: Buttons & Bows

Saturday 9: Buttons & Bows

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Here it here.

1) The lyrics extol the beauty of "rings and things and buttons and bows." When you're getting dressed, do you give much thought to accessorizing?

A. Not really. I wear my wedding band and alternate between a couple of pairs of earrings. I sometimes wear a pearl necklace or a silver necklace.

2) Dinah Shore sings that she doesn't want to live where the cactus hurts her toes. Sam can sympathize, as she has a blister on one of her toes from where her winter boots rub. Do you have any aches and pains to report this morning?

A. Yes. I have done something to my elbow. I think it is tennis elbow although I don't play tennis. It is probably from using the computer.

3) Dinah was such a popular entertainer that people were surprised to learn she earned a degree in sociology from Vanderbilt University. What is something we'd be surprised to know about you?

A. It took me eight years to obtain my bachelor's degree. I think I've mentioned that before, though. Hmm. Oh, I know. I play the harmonica a little bit. But maybe that's not a surprise since I play other musical instruments. Hmm. How about this: I prefer silver to gold.

4) Dinah's was the best selling version of this song, which was introduced by Bob Hope in the movie The Paleface. Hope had success early in his career as a song-and-dance man on Broadway. Are you better at telling jokes, singing, or dancing?

A. I am not very good at any of the three, really. I can sing a passable tune, so I will go with that one.

5) Both Bob and Dinah donated their time to entertaining the troops in WWII. It was during a USO tour that Dinah met and fell in love with actor George Montgomery, who was serving in the Air Force. They were married for 20 years and had two children. Their daughter followed her parents into show business and became an actress. If a young person asked you for career advice, what would you tell them?

A. Don't go into journalism.

6) Dinah was an avid golfer and even sponsored an LPGA tournament. She was also an excellent cook who hosted TV cooking segments. Which would you find more relaxing -- an afternoon on the golf course or in the kitchen?

A. How about I sit in the golf club house and drink a soda and read a book while someone serves me lunch?

7) In 1948, the year this record was a hit, Scrabble was introduced. Do you prefer word games, card games, board games or jigsaw puzzles?

A. I like them all. I am not sure I have a preference.

8) Also in 1948, LPs (33 1/3 rpm records) were introduced. Do you have any vinyl records in your home?

A. Yes. My husband and I both brought our collections with us when we married, and we have never rid ourselves of them even though we have nothing to play them on. Maybe a record player should be on the Christmas list this year.

9) Random question -- Which of these would you consider the greatest insult: to be called boring, untrustworthy, or stupid?

A. Untrustworthy. I'm sure a lot of people think I'm boring and I imagine a great many people think I am stupid, as well. But I hope no one thinks I am untrustworthy.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

8 comments:

  1. Don't be a journalist. Ha! I would agree in this age of competition for ratings and subscribers. The integrity I was taught, the checking of sources and facts that I had drummed into my head, all to often seem to have gone out the window over the last 2 or 3 decades. I feel like those I admired in the field and who inspired me back in the day are most likely spinning in their graves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the best answer to #6. Golf courses are always such pretty places to eat lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how anyone could think you were boring or stupid, but I agree with you on not wanting to be considered untrustworthy.
    I like the idea of sitting in the gold club house and having lunch. That is right up my alley! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m sure there’s a story behind your journalist comment

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with your #3 and Stacy's comment here.. So sad, because journalism used to be so valid and meaningful..your #6 was exactly waht I would have said if I could have thought of it! love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who is a journalist and she does articles for Forbes and other media.
    You answer for golf reminded me of my mother, before I could drive she used to drive my friends and me to the ski areas and read all after noon in the lodge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh--I wish I had thought of your golf course/kitchen answer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Journalism: a dying profession. Even for theater critics. I've lost one job and now have been told my reviews have to be shortened for lack of space. And who wants a profession where you are accused every day of lying by the Liar in Chief.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.