Saturday, July 13, 2019

Saturday 9: Bonanza

Saturday 9: Bonanza (1959)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) Bonanza ran on NBC for 14 seasons. Today it's rerun on Me-TV and TVLand. Were/are you a fan?

A. I watch it sometimes. I wasn't even born in 1959, so it wasn't "must see" TV during its original run as I was quite young.

2) The show centers on The Cartwrights, who lived on a massive ranch in Nevada. License plates in Nevada read, "The Silver State." What's on your license plate?

A. The Blue Ridge Mountains, with a Hollins University Alumnae thingy around the license plate.

3) Ben Cartwright made his fortune as a cattle rancher. What's the last beef dish you ate?

A. A hamburger. I'm a cattle farmer. Not big enough to be a rancher.

4) Patriarch Ben had his eldest son, Adam, with his refined, bookish first wife, Elizabeth. Unfortunately, Elizabeth died in childbirth. Still Adam inherited her love of the written word. What's the last book you finished?

A. The last audio book I finished was Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins. The last book I read was Den of Wolves by Juliet Marillier. The last nonfiction book I read was In Pieces, by Sally Field.

5) Ben's second son, Hoss, was born to his second wife, Inger, who was killed as the family traveled West by wagon train. Hoss inherited her open, friendly manner and her way with animals. Are there pets in your home?

A. No. I'm allergic to animals. I do own a herd of cows.

6) Ben's youngest, Joe, arrived after Ben married a third time to the passionate Marie, who died in a riding accident when her son was only five years old. Little Joe inherited her impetuosity. Do you consider yourself more spontaneous or predictable?

A. Predictable, I suppose.

7) Samuel Clemons was a reporter in Virginia City at the time when the Cartwrights would have been there, and a fictionalized version of Mr. Clemons appeared in an episode of Bonanza. Without looking it up, do you know Samuel Clemons' famous pen name?

A. Mark Twain.

8) Hair was a big deal in the Bonanza dressing room. Three of the original four stars -- Lorne Greene, Pernell Roberts and Dan Blocker -- all wore hairpieces. (The fourth, Michael Landon, began dying his hair while still in his 20s because he was going prematurely gray.) Have you ever worn a wig or a hairpiece?

A. No.

9) Random question -- Tell us the story behind one of your scars.

A. I have a huge scar on my chest, right in the middle of breasts. It is longer than my fingers and has side marks on it. The scar is the result of a mole that was on my chest when I was born. The mole was shaped like a bullet and had a white spot in it. My father was a policeman when I was born and my mother considered the bullet-shaped mole to be a sign that my father would be shot if he didn't quit the police force (he did eventually).

When I was five years old, the doctors removed the mole because apparently it was precancerous. All I remember about the operation is being wheeled into surgery, my parents left behind while I screamed for my mother, and then being in a room and my aunt visiting me and throwing up and nearly passing out from the lingering odor of ether. That was what they used for surgery back then. I also remember the doctor calling the bandages "butterflies." When I was of age I was supposed to have plastic surgery to hide the scar, but I never did.

In grade school and beyond, I used the scar to get out of physical education class. I hated PE. I used to tell my gym teachers at the beginning of every year that I had a heart condition and show them my big scar (which is right over my heart) and they believed me. So if I had a day when I didn't want to do gym, I simply told the PE teachers that my heart wasn't feeling good and they would let me sit out of the exercises. I guess that makes me a sneaky little liar, doesn't it? Or very smart. Or both.

I didn't use the excuse often; after I "became a woman" it came in handy when I had bad cramps and had an unsympathetic PE teacher. (Incidentally I had a hysterectomy at 29; I had severe endometriosis.) I frequently made the A-B honor roll simply because I almost always received a B in gym. Otherwise I would have been a straight-A student (and was occasionally - I graduated 5th in my class so it didn't hurt my grades much).

___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

10 comments:

  1. When I was growing up we had a dairy farm just down the street from us and every once in a while they would get loose. One morning when I was waking I heard a loud Mooo… I pulled back my window drapes and there was a cow looking at me. A little while later the farmer came and herded them back to where there belonged. During the summer we used to walk through the fields to the ice cream bar and then go swimming in his pond… we just had to watch out for the snapping turtles.
    Now there are a hundred homes where the farm was, out of maybe two dozen farms in town there is only one.
    Last year there was a big debate in town, a city slicker moved in around the only farm left and complained about the smell. They especially complained when he spread manure in the spring on the corn fields; it split the town in half, the old timers like me and the city slickers. We won. If you don’t like the smell you shouldn’t have moved in next to a farm.
    Sorry for the ramblings but it brought back fond memories of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, I enjoyed your answers today...I am right there with you regarding PE classes.. I hated thema s well.. I am not the athletic type.. never was.. WOw, thaat mole must have been something!!! That is too funny tht you could use the scar to get out of gym. But I do not blame you!! Hope you have a wonderful rest of your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you crack me up getting out of P.E.! I hate that class too. I bet you would have been valedictorian. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the audio version of In Pieces, I should listen to it soon.

    I can relate to #9--I loathed phys ed class. I had a severe case of mono my junior year of high school and was exempted from pe after that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...if you have an impressive scar, might as well make the most out of it. I approve!

    Have we discussed "In Pieces" before? I finished it, but hated it. Well, maybe "hate" is too strong, but I did not enjoy it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually loved PE, but I'd have totally used the scar if it would have gotten me out of geometry! Interesting story about your mom's beliefs concerning it. Did your dad buy into it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a scar across the bottom of my chin along with gravel still in my chin. When I was 4 a very large trash truck rolled backwards without seeing me and I went to run out of the way and slipped on the gravel beneath my feet. My injury blood soaked two bath towels completely before we got to the hospital. I had stitches and white bandages from ear to ear like a Santa beard. The biggest problem was .. we lived in Florida and it was the middle of summer. Needless to say my tan that year was quite strange looking! Ha! Ha!
    I didn’t realize you were 5th in your class. I was little less (34 out of 211) PE was not a strong class for me either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lawd, I hated PE. I'm a hide in the corner of the playground with a book kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used menstrual cramps to get out of PE and I ended up having a hysterectomy, too! You don't suppose there's some mysterious celestial PE force that we offended, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you win the prize for most interesting scar story. I also had a very early hysterectomy and horrible cramps in my youth, so can identify with your using whatever means necessary to get out PE.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.