Saturday, March 16, 2019

Saturday 9: Molly Malone

Saturday 9: Molly Malone
 
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) Are you of Irish descent?

A. I thought I was, but my brother did his DNA test and it came back 53% Great Britain and only 13% Irish. So I may be a wee bit Irish, but apparently I'm more of Her Majesty's Subject than I ever knew.

2) Legend has it that the heroine of this week's Irish ballad was a real lass. 17th century birth and burial records confirm that a woman with that name lived in Dublin. Can you think of another song about a real historic figure?

A. The first thing that comes to mind is Molly Turgish, which is a song they sang on Green Acres about a woman who was ugly, and I suppose the whole thing was fictional. But there is also Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley, though I'm not sure he was real but I think he was.

3) Molly sold fish from a cart that she wheeled through the streets. What's the last seafood you ate?

A. It has been years since I ate fish. I started developing a reaction to fish and shell food products around 2012 and I stopped eating them.

4) The lyrics tell us that, after her death, her ghost continues to wander the streets of Dublin with her wheel barrow. Do you believe in ghosts?

A. I think there are things that go in the world that we know nothing about. Whether they are ghosts or dimensional portals or alternate universes that have seeped through - who knows?

5) This week's featured band, The Dubliners, are obviously from Dublin. They were introduced to American audiences on The Ed Sullivan Show. Today, Stephen Colbert tapes his show in The Ed Sullivan Theater. Who hosted the last talk show you watched?

A. Bill Maher.
 
6) Corned beef and cabbage is a traditional St. Patrick's Day dish. Is it a favorite of yours?

A. No.

7) According to Irish legend, leprechauns earned the gold in the pot they guard by repairing shoes. Crazy Sam can't remember the last time she got a pair of shoes repaired. When the heels wear away, she discards the shoes and buys new ones. What about you? Do you get your shoes fixed (either by leprechauns or just by ordinary repairmen)?

A. I usually throw them away and buy new ones, although I have occasionally resorted to Krazy Glue to fix a sole on a sneaker. My husband has had work boots repaired by a repairman. Unfortunately there is only one shoe repairman in our area and I'm not even sure he's still in business.

8) Do you look good in green, the signature color of St. Patrick's Day?

A. It's not a bad color on me, but I don't wear it much.

9) Random question: Did you more recently sneeze or cough?

A. Coughed.

___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

9 comments:

  1. I want to have a DNA test done to see what my heritage is. I have no clue. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you are from Botetourt area. I sometimes watch the YouTube vlog of a fellow from there called The Fincastle Underground. He is running for sheriff and is an interesting fellow.
    Love your part of the country and been there many times.
    We have the Bill Maher thing in common. I love to dislike his opinions on a lot of things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no, I actually agree with Bill Maher on most things, except perhaps some of his commentary on women, which at times can seem rather sexist.

      Delete
  3. I want one of my sisters to have a DNA test. Then I'll know without having to pay for it. (I'm trying to economize.) My dad's side of the family kept closer track of relatives and when they arrived. But my mom -- who insisted she was 100% German -- came from less, shall we say, "forthcoming" ancestors. They didn't do the whole census, birth certificate, marriage certificate kinda things. I suspect they were convicts and carnies, a supposition that made my mom's face go a bit red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley"
    Boy does that bring back memories... I have the 1958 album Kingston Trio on vinyl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh--I've got Tom Dooley in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word...I would be absolutely depressed if I developed a seafood allergy!
    My son did his DNA...no surprises about nationality, but it did throw out the names of 2 first cousins and forced my mom to tell me the name of my biological father after 54 years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't eat shell fish anymore either. But, I can still eat Salmon and other finned fish.. deep sea.. It's got to be the bit o the Irish. ;o)
    Sometimes Saddlery shops know of Cobbler's around and about.
    My Mother, and aunts and Grandmothers furnished most of my info from when I asked in the 70's, so there weren't too many surprises in the DNA. It was once said that Everybody has a little Irish in them. Cute and probably true...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ♫ ♪ This is the ballad of ugly old Molly
    Ugly as sin, by golly, by golly ♪
    ♫ By golly, by golly as ugly as sin
    By golly, by golly as ugly as sin ♪ ♫

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.