Sunday, January 13, 2019

Sunday Stealing

Sunday Stealing

1. Name the strangest place you've ever been.

A. When I was 12 we traveled across the country in a van. Somewhere out west we went into a very deep cave, one that had an elevator. It was very deep, so deep that animals that had found their way into it had petrified and looked like they did when they died. It was also so deep that no germs could live there. When I came out, my allergies/cold was all better.

2. What are unusual food combinations you enjoy?

A. I am pretty mundane when it comes to food. My husband likes peanut butter and mayonnaise, and potato chips and ketchup. I'm not that adventurous.

3. What is your best cure for hiccups?

A. Hold your breath and count to 10. If that doesn't work, put a pencil sideways in your mouth and drink 10 gulps of water.

4. Name something you have never done but would like to try.

A. I would like to fly an airplane. I'd also like to go on a cruise.

5. What is a routine you do every day without fail?

A. I get up and make tea.

6. Name something new you've recently learned.

A. I learned that declaring a "national emergency" gives the president of the United States enhanced powers and the ability to do a variety of things, including taking farmland. There are 136 statutory powers that come into play when the president declares a national emergency. A lot of these powers pertain to the military but others involve health care, imposition of fees on agricultural commodities, and the FCC can waive licenses for broadcasters. You can see a list of them all here. Boring reading, but also a little eyebrow-raising.

7. What is your keenest sense?

A. I can smell and hear things that other people cannot. For example, I can smell snakes. Black snakes smell like cucumber. Rattlesnakes smell like overturned earth. I have walked by trees and then stopped and told people to back away because I smelled a snake, and sure enough, there was a snake. My in-laws once had a TV with a terrible high-pitched squeal that no one else could hear but me. The thing eventually went bad and I was so glad because I couldn't stand to go over there because of that racket.

8. Do you prefer cooking or cleaning up?

A. I prefer eating out.

9. Where were you the last time you saw the sun rise?

A. Thursday morning I saw the sun rise as I stood in my kitchen.

10. Recall a recent time you were embarrassed.

A. I was embarrassed when I was talking to a person on the phone about an issue with our flooring and I started to cry because I felt overwhelmed by the discussion.

11. What is an everyday sound that delights you.

A. The sound of my husband's voice.

12. Tell about the last conversation you had with a stranger.

A. The checkout clerk at Kroger gave me a description of the "new construction" the store is doing, which actually more of a basic painting and sprucing up, with some much-needed restoration of 20-year-old restrooms. The store does need attention, but I think it needs a bit more attention than it's getting.

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in
Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

12 comments:

  1. Your cave sounds like Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico (where I live). I've never been though. Mammoth Caves in Kentucky was prett darn amazing though! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cave sounds interesting! Most Kroger stores have been remodeled completely. I am shocked that yours is in such an old building. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Kroger the chain that just announced they are going to make changes that will "revolutionize" grocery shopping? We've already got online shopping and delivery from other chains. What's left?
    That cave does sound pretty cool. It cured your cold? Wow. Can we just round up everyone in the world who is sick and send them down for an hour or so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning, Anita, and may your day be a great one... enjoy the beauty of creation .. It is duirng these kinds of days that my allergies abate somewhat, but one every other day of the eyar in this area, they are horrific... I could use a nice deep cave to visit regularly because nothing else seems to help...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cave sounds so interesting! We have lots of caves here in Missouri, but I have never been in one quite like that! Cool!
    I have seen peanut butter and mayonnaise mentioned a few times today. That does not even sound good. I may have to try a bite sometime. Loved your answers! Have a great day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's some sniffer you have! I seem to have lost most of my senses the older I get, which is why I said my best sense was my "sense of humor"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hearing and smelling.... Good Lord, I think we really ARE related. It makes me happy, though.
    Some people like to eat Fritos sandwiches with mayo. I sort of like that, too.
    Caves are sometimes touted as curative. So, it seems that you are the proof of that claim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The high-pitched television noise was a faulty high voltage transformer. In the old days, television remotes emitted sounds. Some women, especially pregnant women, could hear those frequencies.

    My friend Spewgie can smell insects. This became unbelievably useful when I was shopping for a house. Had my heart set on a Cape Cod saltbox-style. Spewgie determined the two huge very healthy-looking twin trees in front of a potential candidate were rotten with carpenter ants. Called an arborist; she was correct. Estimate to remove $7000. And without the trees ruined the esthetic of the house. No sale.

    So. I would say you two have valuable super powers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can hear very high pitched sounds and they will play back in my ears at a later time. It drives me nuts! That cavern sounds cool I like to cook, I find it somewhat cathartic. The last thing I learned was the differences between Roosevelt, Tulle, and Rocky Mountain elk when hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've eaten peanut butter and cheese with lettuce and tomatoes sandwiches in the past. Be interesting to try peanut butter with mayonnaise. I went over to the link about national emergency powers. I worry that he may try to invoke martial law for his wall. shudder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.