Saturday, August 11, 2018

Saturday 9: The Nanny

Saturday 9: The Nanny (1993)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from a sitcom that originally aired from 1993 to 1999. Were you a fan?

A. No. I did not watch this show.

2) The song tells us that Fran once worked in a bridal shop. Have you ever worked in a retail setting?

A. I had a friend who set up a "general store" type establishment in downtown Roanoke back in the mid-1990s. I worked for her for about a year, helping stock and acting as a sales clerk. I learned a lot. For one thing, the markup on everything is at least 100% but frequently as much as 300%. That is why stores can have big sales - they have lots of room to lower prices before they reach their actual purchase price.

3) The kids in the Sheffield household appreciate their nanny's "joie de vivre," which is defined as "exuberant enjoyment of life." Are you feeling joie de vivre this morning?

A. I rarely feel joie de vivre.

4) "The Nanny" is the colorful one, the one who wears red when everyone else wears tan. What color do you think you look best in?

A. Blue or black.

5) The TV show, The Nanny, was the brainchild of actress Fran Drescher. She got the idea while visiting her an old friend in London. Her friend's pre-teen daughter enjoyed having Fran as a confidante and shopping buddy. Do you enjoy shopping as a leisure activity? Or would you prefer to just dash into a store, grab what you need, and get out and go home?

A. I go in, grab what I need, and get out of there. The exception would be book stores, electronic shops, and office supply stores. I don't mind lingering in those places. But dress stores? Shoe stores? Blah.

6) The friend Fran was visiting in London was Twiggy, who was the world's most famous model in the 1960s. Name another famous model.

A. Cindy Crawford.

7) The Nanny: The Complete Series is available on DVD on Amazon. It consists of 19 discs and takes 55 hours to watch, start to finish. What TV show have you recently binge watched?

A. The last show I binge-watched was Downton Abby and that has been at least a year ago if not longer. I don't generally binge-watch TV. Actually I don't watch that much TV, comparatively speaking.

8) The Nanny theme was sung by Liz Callaway. Her father, the late John Callway, was a long-time Chicago newscaster. Have you, or has a loved one, ever been on TV?

A. I have been on TV, a very long time ago. It had something to do with school. Oh shoot, I was in a TV news interview not that long ago. Duh. Here's a link: http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Proposal-for-new-substation-in-Botetourt-485193201.html

9) Random question -- Which of these adjectives comes closest to describing you: sexy, sophisticated or down-to-earth?

A. Down-to-earth, I suppose. I'm certainly not sexy, and I don't think of myself as sophisticated.
_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
(#245)

21 comments:

  1. Grocery stores use that mark up practice, too. It pays to know how much stuff costs normally, because when I worked in a grocery store I was surprised to find that when they knew $1 off coupons were coming out on something, the price went up $1 the night before and those Buy One Get One deals...they would jack the price way up during the sale. They don't give you anything for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Deals are seldom deals. You just think they are.

      Delete
  2. I watched your clip! Did you know in advance you were going to be on TV? I liked your earrings and necklace. You sounded smart and reasonable. And now I know how to pronounce "Botetourt."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. No, I didn't know in advance. I tend to try to dress nicely when I am out regardless of where I am going. Botetourt is frequently mispronounced. LOL.

      Delete
  3. The closet I have been to retail was helping a store move to its new location one summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked retail for almost a decade. It was quite a transition to leave the store one day and start teaching the very next day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the way that the big retail chains grew into monsters, by over pricing and probably in concert. That's why Amazon can beat them at the game, and still offer delivery. But enough of that.
    You looked lovely in the interview, and you let it be known that you'll keep an eye on it, in a nice way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched as well! Call me naive (guilty!), but I'd no idea about retail mark-ups! (Good to know, but what-cha gonna do.....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just watch where you spend your money, that's about all you can do. Thanks for watching the interview.

      Delete
  7. I loved your interview! You did a great job! I would have been a babbling mess. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to see you "in person"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Yes, I guess that is probably as close as we'll ever come.

      Delete
  9. After having lost 50 lbs and needed clothes that fit for work, I still don’t enjoy shopping unless i’m In the mood to shop. I have been having more fun pulling out of my closet the clothes that you “someday” will fit into again. The ones that became too small and having them now not fit because they are too big . Take me to a book store and you may never see me again.Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to have that problem with my clothes. Congratulations on the weight loss.

      Delete
  10. Fun questions this Saturday! It was fun to see you on TV! You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought the entire Downton Abby on itunes. Unfortunately, I usually doze off watching...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.