Saturday, June 16, 2018

Saturday 9: Cat's in the Cradle

Cat's in the Cradle (1974)

This song was chosen in honor of Father's Day. Hear it here. (I always loved this song, though I find it rather sad.)

1) This song began as a poem, written by Harry's wife Sandy before the couple even met. Have you ever tried your hand at writing poetry?

A. Yes. I've even had a few poems published.

2) The lyrics include a reference to "The Man in the Moon." The original Mother Goose rhyme ends: "It's time for the children on earth to think about getting to bed." Do you remember what time your childhood bedtime was?

A. Around 8 p.m.

3)  When did you go to bed last night?

A. After 10 p.m.

4) In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed the proclamation that made Father's Day a holiday on the third Sunday in June. Can you name all 45 Presidents? (No, you don't have to list them here.)

A. I doubt it. It's not something I've made a point of committing to memory. I can tell you they were/are all white guys except for Barack Obama, FDR was a saint, and Lincoln was a visionary.

5) Since Sam's father is particular about his Cole Haan loafers, her Father's Day present to him is always a DSW gift card. Who on your gift list is especially easy to buy for?

A. My friend Leslie, who is not a father because she's a woman without kids, is probably the easiest person I buy a present for during other occasions.

6) Sam's father is a voracious reader. So much so that the local librarian knows him on sight and by name. When did you last visit your neighborhood library?

A. Wednesday.

7) Back when Sam was in high school, her father gave her driving lessons. Do you consider yourself a good driver?

A. Yes.

8) He is a stickler about car maintenance and reminds Sam to check her car's air filter regularly, because a dirty air filter can reduce mileage. Share your own car maintenance tip.

A. Don't rev the engine at stoplights.

9) Whenever he fills up the car, Sam's father also stocks up on his favorite candy: LifeSavers. So Sam is celebrating Father's Day by giving everyone a roll. Would you prefer Wild Cherry, Butter Rum, Winter Green or Peppermint?

A. Winter Green, please. Thank you.
 _____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

8 comments:

  1. It is a sad song. And I like it, too.
    I’ve read a couple of your poems that you’ve put up. You knocked my socks off, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to chuckle about don't rev your engine at the light. The other day on a road know for its drag racing, two young kids in front of me were reving their engines. When I light turned green the car in front of me took off with a cloud of smoke from the tires and the other car stalled. I smiled as I drove by him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't rev the engine at stop lights...next I suppose you'll be telling me to stop for yellow lights and not to floor it when it turns green. LOL I may THINK of driving like a NASCAR driver, but I really don't. Not often, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of them were "saints" and though FDR was overall a wonderful president, remember he was the one who interned the Japanese. He also had a mistress who lived in the White House (as did Eleanor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your answer to #4. (And I'd argue whether Eleanor had a mistress at all, much less one living in the White House.) I just returned from a sojurn to the Lincoln Library and here's another thing he was: LITERATE. Lord, how I miss listening to a President who can speak in complete and understandable sentences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow! Remember when guys use to flex their muscles by revving their engines at stop lights? That is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a slight hill on the street where I live and idiots are always revving up it. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed about the poems being published! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.