Saturday, May 12, 2018

Saturday 9: Mother & Child Reunion

Saturday 9: Mother and Child Reunion (1972)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here. (I didn't realize this song was so old. Yikes.)

1) The title of this song, "Mother and Child Reunion," came from a dish Paul Simon had at a Chinese restaurant. "Mother and Child Reunion" was chicken and egg drop soup. When did you last eat chicken?

A. Last night. We had chicken pot pie for dinner.
 
2) Paul Simon's mother, Belle, was an English teacher Monday through Friday and then gave piano lessons on the weekends. Have you ever worked more than one job?


A. Yes. Almost my entire adult life, actually. I have freelanced for most of it and worked at other jobs at the same time on many occasions.
 
3) Mother Winters taught Sam to always dispose of the dry cleaning bag, as storing clothes in the bag may discolor the fabric. Do you have any useful household hints to pass along?


A. White vinegar can cure most boo-boos. It is also great if you burn your hand; soak it in white vinegar and it won't be sore.

4) Have you put away your winter clothes yet?

A. They have been moved to the rear of the closet.
 
5) Flowers and plants are popular on Mother's Day. How is your yard or garden? Is it green and/or blooming?


A. My yard is green and the annuals I planted are blooming. The irises are starting to bloom and the roses are not.

6) In the 1600's, the British began celebrating "Mothering Sunday." Children presented flowers to their mothers after Sunday service. When did you last place flowers in a vase? Where they store-bought, or picked from someone's garden?

A. I only use silk flowers in the house because of my allergies. I last bought new ones about three weeks ago.

7) The German word for "mother" is "mutter." What other German words do you know?

A. Donka. (Thanks.)

8) When Sam was a teen, her mother used to scold her for monopolizing the family landline. With the advent of cell phones, do you think parents and children still clash over telephone etiquette?

A. I think they clash over using them at dinner, although when I am out I see parents on their phones ignoring their kids as often as not.
 
9) To celebrate Mother's Day, Sam is giving away her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars!Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or milk chocolate with almonds?


A. Classic milk chocolate, please. Thank you!

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know about vinegar for first aid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using white vinegar--I didn't remember about the burns, though. Great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that about vinegar. Will it work on sunburn, too? Because that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son has a friend who is on one of those vinegar diets. He's lost a lot of weight but, it doesn't sound like the best diet idea ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.