Sunday, December 17, 2017

Sunday Stealing: It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like . . .

Sunday Stealing

Last week we talked about thing that bug us.  This week (and maybe next), how about things that we like about the holidays.

Apologies if you do not celebrate Christmas, but perhaps you can change the some questions to match the winter holiday you do celebrate.  I would love to hear from people who celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanza, or Winter Solstice!

1. What’s your favorite thing about the holidays?

A. The day after they are over. Yes, I am a bit of holiday Ebenezer, having found the days to be over-burdensome and emotionally draining. If I have to pick a second favorite thing, it would be the lights. I do enjoy a good holiday display.

2. Do you send out Christmas cards and if so how many do you send?

A. I send out cards and this year I mailed out 60. The number dwindles the older I grow, as folks pass on. At one time, I sent out double that number.

3. Be honest: holiday newsletters. Love ‘em or dislike ‘em?

A. I read them if they are one page. Two pages, not so much. I don't do one myself.

4. Be honest: photo cards. Love ‘em or dislike 'em?

A. I am not fond of them, but on the other hand, I wouldn't know what some of the cousins' kids look like without them.

5. How soon do you start shopping?
Our tree in 2015.
Look how crooked that
thing is.

A. Usually September or so.

6. Real or fake tree?

A. We have a fake tree.

7. When do you put up your tree?

A. We usually put it up after Thanksgiving, either that weekend or the following weekend, depending on my husband's work schedule.

8. When do you take down your tree?

A. As soon as I can. There is a theory that one of my friends tosses out that it is bad luck to take down the tree before New Year's, but I have done that. Again, it depends on whether or not I have my husband's assistance.

9. Describe your typical tree (size, decorations, type).

A. Our tree always has multi-colored lights, shiny tinsel, and ornaments that are fire department related or Christmas mouse related. We also use pretty balls and garland.

10. What do you top your tree with?

A. Ours has an angel on it this year. Some years we have used a star.

11. Do you put Christmas lights outside your house?

A. Not anymore.

12. Is there a wreath hanging on your door?

A. There was, but the wind blew it off so it is back in the garage.

13. Do you hang up stockings?

A. Yes. My husband and I fill stockings for one another, usually with things like a favorite magazine, Chapstick, a candy bar, or some such. 

14. Your favorite Christmas Movie(s).

A. I don't really have one. I usually try to watch It's a Wonderful Life once but frankly I'd just as soon watch the Lord of the Rings.

15. Be honest: A Christmas movie you dislike.

A. I can't think of one, although I think the one with Will Ferrell (?) in it may not be something I watch.

16. Favorite Christmas Song(s).

A. My favorite is Do You Hear What I Hear? I also like Joy to the World and Angels We Have Heard On High just because they both have really neat guitar chord changes in them.

17. Be honest: If I hear this/these Christmas songs again I will throw up.

A. I can't think of anything. I don't listen to them enough to grow bored with them.

18. Give or Receive?

A. Give (and receiving is nice, too, but not mandatory. And for those of you who are always telling me, "don't buy me any present this year," the appropriate thing to do is take the gift, open it, and say, "thank you." That's it. Easy peasy. Leave me alone to buy you something if I want to and accept it with grace. That is all that is required of you. Toss it in the trash when you get home if you want to. But don't give me grief for trying to be a nice person and showing you that I care about you.).

19. Eggnog or Mulled Cider?

A. Just plain cider for me, and boiled custard for the husband.

20. Ham or Turkey?

A. Ham. Although really I prefer the sides, like deviled eggs, green beans, biscuits and gravy.

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in
Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

5 comments:

  1. Amen to # 18!!! I love to match the perfect gift to a person I care about. The look of happiness on their face makes me feel like I did something right at least once! Makes me happy, that is my gift... happiness in giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to get our tree down by New Year's Day, but a lot of people around here leave them up until Jan. 8 for Greek Orthodox Christmas...not that many actually are GO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived my whole life without ever tasting biscuits and gravy until about 3 years ago when I spent a month at my cousin's apartment in a senior living facility that served it at least once a week. I fell in love with it, though haven't had (or made) it since I've been home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your stocking tradition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some fantastic songs and yes, the guitar in them is beautiful, when they are played on one. ;o)
    Stockings for each other is an great gift. It would be fun to do for someone.
    I love your answer to 18. Perfect answer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.