2. Generally speaking, many women do not stop working for the weekend. When I worked full time, and even when freelancing, Saturday was housecleaning day, and Sunday was catch-up day. Actually I still do most of my housecleaning on Saturday. I think this has changed, though. Younger people seem to share household chores better than my generation.
3. How did I do it? Sometimes when I think back on all the things I did when I was younger - at one point I was working two jobs, attending college, and still fixing my husband his dinner - and realize that aging really does slow you down. If you're a young person, just wait. You'll feel it one day.
4. Injuries to the heart and soul are the most difficult to repair. A broken bone can mend and sometimes be stronger, but a broken heart and soul always has a hole. Not all such injuries come from the ones you love. Sometimes your community can betray you, too. This is especially true if you happen to love your community.
5. Just yesterday I was looking at the local newspaper and noting that my renewal date is coming up. I have subscribed to it for 34 years, and have read it for at least 44 years. I shouldn't even have to think about renewing, but this thought keeps coming to me: what difference does it make if I know what is going on or not? The people in charge are going to do whatever they want regardless.
6. Knowing I have become a cynic does not bring me relief. Instead it makes me sad that the years have jaded me and turned me a bit sour regarding the goodness of my fellow human beings.
8. Many people disagree with me but I try to love them anyway. It is hard.
9. Now is the time for all good men and women to come to the aid of their country.
10. Open and shut, open and shut. That means something in the back of my head and it relates to the state of the day, but I cannot state what I am trying to say. My brains are scrambled like breakfast eggs this morning.
11. People need people, even introverts like me who prefer to be alone much of the time. Sometimes, though, a hug is the remedy, not a book. Though books are always good.
12. Quietly, I sift through the sordid news of the morning, reading and wincing, my heart pounding, my blood pressure rising, until I must put it aside and stop, simply for the sake of sanity.
13. Rather than come up with some kind of list, this is a random 13, because I am listless in more ways than one.
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 482nd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.