Thursday, January 12, 2017

Thursday Thirteen


1. Fridays no longer hold the allure for me that they once did, now that I am semi-retired (or whatever you want to call it). When I worked the 8 to 5 routine, Fridays were the days I aimed for. Now Fridays are just another day. I am reminded of the time the Dowager on Downton Abby asked, "What is a weekend?" We can thank Henry Ford for shutting down his motorcar building operations on Saturday and Sunday for the weekend as we know it today.

2. Generally speaking, many women do not stop working for the weekend. When I worked full time, and even when freelancing, Saturday was housecleaning day, and Sunday was catch-up day. Actually I still do most of my housecleaning on Saturday. I think this has changed, though. Younger people seem to share household chores better than my generation.

3. How did I do it? Sometimes when I think back on all the things I did when I was younger - at one point I was working two jobs, attending college, and still fixing my husband his dinner - and realize that aging really does slow you down. If you're a young person, just wait. You'll feel it one day.

4. Injuries to the heart and soul are the most difficult to repair. A broken bone can mend and sometimes be stronger, but a broken heart and soul always has a hole. Not all such injuries come from the ones you love. Sometimes your community can betray you, too. This is especially true if you happen to love your community.

5. Just yesterday I was looking at the local newspaper and noting that my renewal date is coming up. I have subscribed to it for 34 years, and have read it for at least 44 years. I shouldn't even have to think about renewing, but this thought keeps coming to me: what difference does it make if I know what is going on or not? The people in charge are going to do whatever they want regardless.

6. Knowing I have become a cynic does not bring me relief. Instead it makes me sad that the years have jaded me and turned me a bit sour regarding the goodness of my fellow human beings.

7. Last night I stayed up until nearly midnight searching for something I thought I had lost. I was sitting on the bed, trying to think how I would tell my husband that I had misplaced this precious something, when I realized where it was. And yes, there it was.

8. Many people disagree with me but I try to love them anyway. It is hard.

9. Now is the time for all good men and women to come to the aid of their country.

10. Open and shut, open and shut. That means something in the back of my head and it relates to the state of the day, but I cannot state what I am trying to say. My brains are scrambled like breakfast eggs this morning.

11. People need people, even introverts like me who prefer to be alone much of the time. Sometimes, though, a hug is the remedy, not a book. Though books are always good.

12. Quietly, I sift through the sordid news of the morning, reading and wincing, my heart pounding, my blood pressure rising, until I must put it aside and stop, simply for the sake of sanity.

13. Rather than come up with some kind of list, this is a random 13, because I am listless in more ways than one.


____________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 482nd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. I really relate to #5, 6 and 7 AND 9 needs to be quoted everywhere now. Great TT. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Numbers 4 and 11 are so true... My T13

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brains have been scrambled all my life. I have no idea how I'll know when I've gone senile.

    When my kids were little, Saturday was cleaning day because then I could recruit them to help. I had forgotten all about that until my dd reminded me a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you a (((( BIG HUG))))!
    As a journalist, you must feel like it's your sworn duty to DO Something! Maybe the best way to DO something is to "Focus".
    Focus on your Community because these stay together and help one another, or, if they fail, that bedrock is gone.
    Focus on the 65,844,954 people who voted for Clinton, and the ones who would have - many more than the 50,000 we know about - if they had been allowed to vote. Hang in there, Good Person. Being kind is a step more people need to take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teach during the week and the weekends are catch up time. No way around it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.