Saturday 9: Brokenhearted (2012)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is about a girl who is eager and anxious for her new lover to call. Do you owe anyone a call? An email? A text?
A. Not that I am aware of.
2) The lyrics are peppered with the informal English exclamation, "cheerio!" What pops into your head when you close your eyes and think of England?
A. Big Ben. And that makes me think of the song England Swings.
3) This week's artist, Karmin, is a husband/wife duo who met at college, and that meeting changed the course of their lives and careers. Think of someone who has had a huge impact on your life. Did you know, as soon as you met, that this was going to be a life-changing relationship?
A. I knew that with my husband, and most recently (last five years), I knew it when I met a friend. We locked eyes and I swear something electric passed through us. It was two more years before we actually became friends, but I knew the moment we met that at some point we would be pals. And now we are. We talk on the phone almost every day.
4) Though she sings about consuming tequila, the female side of Karmin, Amy, is a big proponent of healthy eating. She recommends organic foods that are free of pesticides, hormones, food coloring and added sugar. Think about your most recent meal. Was it a good example of "healthy eating?"
A. It was a Lean Cuisine. I strongly suspect that is not healthy eating, but it is better than a Milky Way bar.
5) Husband Nick has his own Twitter account (@NickKarmin), but he doesn't use it often. His last tweet was back in August. What's the last thing you posted to social media? (No, your blog doesn't count.)
A. A comment on Facebook about whether or not some of these "alt" government accounts are real. Some of them are using British spellings in their language, so another former journalist and I were discussing the implications of this.
6) Karmin performed "Brokenhearted" live on Dancing with the Stars. DWTS is very big business for ABC-TV. So many people vote for their favorite couples each week that their phone and text systems often overload. Have you ever voted for a contestant on American Idol, DWTS, The Voice, etc.?
A. No. I seldom watched any of those shows.
7) In 2012, the year"Brokenhearted" was popular, the average cost for a gallon of gas was $3.91. In 2016, it had dropped to $2.40. When it's time to fill up your tank, do you shop around for the lowest price/gal.? Are you brand loyal and always return to the same station, regardless of price? Or do you just buy gas from the nearest station when you're running low?
A. I buy from the same station - which is Kroger - because (a) the gas is usually cheaper there and I get $$ off because of all of my prescription purchases and (b) it is the station nearest to me.
8) In 2012, the Space Shuttle Endeavor was retired and placed on permanent display at the California Science Center, a Los Angeles museum dedicated to encouraging excitement and enthusiasm about air and space travel. Let's say you had a long weekend to spend in Los Angeles. Would you go out of your way to see The Endeavor? What else would you like to do during your time in the City of Angels?
A. Oh yes, I would love to see The Endeavor. I am a big space fan. In fact, today (January 28) is the 30th anniversary of the explosion of Challenger, and I knew that without looking it up (Columbia exploded on February 1, 2003). I followed the New Horizons probe through its journey to Pluto. NASA is one of the websites I visit frequently. As for other things, I am not familiar enough with Los Angeles to really know what is there. TripAdvisor recommends Universal Studios; that might be fun.
9) While we're thinking about aviation ... Statistics show that it's still a predominantly male field, and less than 10% of commercial pilots are women. Would you be nervous flying with a woman pilot?
A. I would not be nervous at all.
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.