. . . Because Kwizgiver suggested Hall & Oates. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This was Hall & Oates' first #1 hit. Can you name another of their popular songs?
A. Private Eyes. And I didn't even have to look it up.
2) Darryl Hall and Sara Allen were a couple for 30 years, and he wrote this at the beginning of their long relationship. That makes this a very public love letter. Are you good at writing love letters? Would you rather tell the person how you feel, face to face? Or do you let your actions speak louder than your words?
A. I wrote a few love letters to my husband when we were dating, but mostly it's face to face. I also like to be nice and kind and let my actions speak for themselves. I love a lot of people, like a great many, and tolerate more than a few. There are only a few people I know well enough to speak with that I dislike, which means I like most everyone I know. (Politicians and other public figures do not count in this recitation.)
3) In the song, Darryl and Sara are waiting for the sunrise. Did you see the sunrise this morning? Or did you sleep in?
A. I am usually up by 6:30 a.m. This morning it was overcast, so no sun.
4) Both Hall & Oates hail from the Philadelphia area. Hall is a native of suburban Pottstown, which was a stop on the Reading/Philadelphia rail line made famous in Monopoly. Do you like playing board games?
A. I do. But with just my husband and me here, we seldom play.
5) John Oates grew up a few miles away from Pottstown in North Wales. Decades ago, North Wales' biggest employer was a cigar factory. Do you like the smell of a cigar?
A. Heavens no. I am terribly allergic to such lung-annihilating atrocities.
6) Daryl Hall now hosts a music show, Live from Daryl's House, that you catch free online. Do you typically watch shows from your computer, pad, phone or TV set?
A. I watch most shows from my TV, but I do watch a good number of youtube videos, though never anything very long. I never watch anything from a pad or phone. My Kindle Fire is supposed to be able to handle streaming video but it does not.
7) Hall & Oates are currently on tour. Are you seeing/have you seen a concert this summer?
A. No to all aspects of this question.
8) Daryl and John have been friends for 50 years, even living together at the beginning of their careers when money was tight. Another successful duo of the rock era, Simon & Garfunkle, also met as teens but they forever seem to be feuding. What do you think makes for a lasting friendship/partnership?
A. Good question. I have one friend that has been dear to me for 33 years, another who has been in my heart for about 18, and another that I've known for about four years now. And another that I've known for about 12 years. I have a lot of people that I have known for many, many years. Whether or not they are friends or just people I know is a valid question, one to which I have no real answer.
I find it difficult to make friends, mostly because I am not out and about. I also am quite introverted, which makes it hard to reach out, and as I have aged it's only gotten harder. But I think to have a good friend you also have to be a good friend. That means you're trustworthy, loyal, and dependable. You recognize if you mess up and try to make it right (at least apologize). Also, you're honest, and you don't use people. Good friendships are reciprocal, and like a marriage, sometimes one person gives more than the other, but ultimately things should feel even to some degree.
9) Random question: Are you quick to try new things?
A. Depends on the thing. A rocket roller coaster? Nope. A new book? Sure. However, I am in my comfort zone way too much anymore, something which needs to change. So maybe I will slowly be quicker to try new things.
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.