2. Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
3. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
4. It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish.
5. Little by little, one travels far.
6. Nearly all marriages, even happy ones, are mistakes: in the sense that almost certainly (in a more perfect world, or even with a little more care in this very imperfect one) both partners might be found more suitable mates. But the real soul-mate is the one you are actually married to.
7. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
8. It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
9. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.
10. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
11. 'I wish life was not so short,' he thought. 'Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'
12. The proper study of Man is anything but Man; and the most improper job of any man, even saints (who at any rate were at least unwilling to take it on), is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.
13. It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 452nd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.