Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Crocodiles After Rats

The events happening at Greenfield today (the moving of historic structures to make way for a shell building) are no more than I expected, but I am extremely disappointed in the way the county Board of Supervisors handled this.

I have never seen such a lack of communication and what appears to be a disrepect for citizen concerns as I have during this total breakdown in communication. This has not been handled well from the beginning, and the supervisors should never have thought that a 20-year-old plan would be remembered by anybody younger than 45 years old.

In the last 15 years, the people of Botetourt have thought of Greenfield more as a recreational area than an industrial park, and the county has only itself to blame for that, what with its sports complex and trails, etc. For people to react to what in their mind is a dispoiling of greenspace they care for should not have been unexpected.

This situation could have been mitigated with a little cooperation from those who should have lead but instead chose to bully their way across public opinion. I know the supervisors believe they are doing the right thing, and I hope their efforts are fruitful, but I also know that many people believe that their shell building is a pipe dream, and this proposed $100 milllion/500 jobs will be nothing more than another Koyo, a corporation that takes state and county incentives and then runs.

The supervisors have done nothing to address concerns but instead have chosen to remain silent and move forward with what they want like crocodiles after rats in the swamp. I expected better than that. I hope it all turns out well, in the end, but the discord created will be a long time healing. I hope it will have been worth it.
 
 

1 comment:

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.