Thursday, February 05, 2015

Thursday Thirteen

1. I woke this morning to an email from my health carrier stating that they'd been hacked. Since this was the second time in less than a month I'd received a notification from a company I do business with that my information had been compromised, I spent an early hour accessing my credit report and placing a fraud alert on my accounts. You can access your credit report for free at annualcreditreport.com, which is the only one authorized by the government. It can be a little confusing to get the thing but if you have never checked your credit report, I urge you to do so.

2. The first thing I remembered this morning, though, was that I had not updated the New Thursday Thirteen website but thankfully and gratefully found that my co-host, Colleen, had taken care of it. That's why there's two of us! Thank you, Colleen.

3. The stuff on my computer is so horrifying anymore that I am grateful all I have to do is look out the window to see a blissful pastoral scene.

4. Cows have a fairly easy life, though they have a lot of babies. And it can't be pleasant to have the children hauled off in a truck when we take the calves to market (though by then the babies are grown). Except for that, and occasionally being scared by a bear, though, they seem to have it pretty nice time.

5. Our blue spruce trees are suffering from a fungus. It developed last year and we sprayed for it. The recent winds have sent little blue spruce pieces all over the yard, though, and I really fear that we will not be able to save these trees.

6. I just ate a Skinny Cow truffle and wasn't all that impressed. I like the caramel filled ones better. Of course, one should not eat such things for breakfast but we do what we must.

7. Yesterday was a pleasant day, with warmer temperatures and little wind. Today the wind blows hard again. Of all the weather types, I dislike wind the most. I can take cold temps if the wind isn't blowing.

8. I am running out of things to say here and I'm only at number 8.

9. A quick glance around my office shows me this: a pile of magazines, a coffee cup that says "Roanoke" on it, an unused drawing pad, a Fincastle Herald newspaper with three of my articles in it, and some Bach Rescue Remedy.

10. The clouds are bouncing across the mountains like the plastic ball in a game of Jacks (or is it Jax?).

11. As metaphors go, that is probably not the best one I've ever come up with but it's early and I'm in a hurry.

12. If you live in the US, have you finished your taxes for 2014?

13. The magic number! What a mess my mind is in this morning.


Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here. I've been playing for a while and this is my 381th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

9 comments:

  1. What a drag about the hacking! I messaged you that I couldn't figure something out but then I did, but still could not get the paragraphs to space. I relate to #3 and #6 is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skinny Cow Snickerdoodle ICe Cream sandwiches are awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with chocolate for breakfast?? Sorry to hear you are one of the many affected by the latest computer hack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do what we must? LOL.

    I've done as much as I can for all the tax returns I normally do, but until the Feb 15th deadline for financial institutions I can't finish anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of the Skinny Cow line, too. No guilt!

    I once dated a guy whose grandparents had a dairy farm. He said cows are way stupid. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re #8: I can definitely relate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We too are affected by the computer hack :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hacking is so "normal" now. It's frustrating and annoying, and I wish people could find better things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the New Thursday Thirteen website? Something YOU started?

    Wind is also my least favorite weather condition. Makes me feel uneasy. Makes me feel like a storm is brewing, literally and figuratively, even when it's not. One reason why I only lasted a year in Oklahoma.

    I know; there's some terrible stuff online. I am also lucky that I can look out my window and see a blissful, pastoral view.

    They are not taking good enough care of our information. Mine has also been compromised a number of times. I'm going to start giving a fake Social Security number when they ask!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.