Saturday, January 11, 2014

Extra Eyes Watching


Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here. (It's a country tune, not my kind of music, let alone my kind of night!)


1) In this song, our hero offers to take his girl down to the river to catch a catfish dinner. What is your favorite seafood?


A. I love shrimp. Alas, I have developed an allergy to it, one which began not long after they began shrimping again after the oil spill in the gulf. I personally think I reacting not to the shrimp but to the toxins in the shrimp from the pollution, but how in the heck would you test that theory?

2) Luke Bryan went to Georgia State University, home of the Panthers. What was your school mascot? 


Pleasants Hall at Hollins University.   
A. I went to an all-girls college, Hollins College (now Hollins University, and still all-female except at the graduate level), and we have no mascot. We have a motto: Levavi Oculos, which means "I will lift mine eyes," lines which come from Psalm 121 in the Bible. Our colors are green and gold. The college was founded in 1842, and it is one of the oldest institutions of higher learning for women in the nation.
 
3) Have you ever tried acupuncture? 

 
Acupuncture needle in my head.
A. Yes, I have. I first tried it in December 2005 and I have had it a few times a year since. I probably need it much more frequently but my insurance doesn't pay for it. If insurance paid for it, I would go at least monthly. I have found it very helpful for mood stabilization, for back pain, allergies, knee pain, and other concerns.

4) Just last night, Crazy Sam threw away a jar of Miracle Whip because it expired in September 2013. Is your refrigerator neat and organized? Or is it a disaster area, like Sam's?


A. We bought a new refrigerator six months ago, so mine is in fairly good shape. I threw out a lot of out-dated items then. However, it is very easy to let something slip by you like that.

5) Which is more important to you -- saving time or saving money?


A. I like to save both. However, you can never get back the time you have lost. That is becoming clear to me as I age.

6) Sam's next door neighbor is named Jim. He's retired, smokes a pipe and drives a red Corolla. Tell us about one of your neighbors.


A. One of my neighbors works at Kroger, which is generally the only place I see her. I went to school with her son, who is a year or two younger than I am. Her husband is retired; he was a rock mason and he built our chimney when we built our home in 1987. They live in one of the houses that my husband's grandfather built, rented, and eventually sold. Their house is adjacent to one of our cattle pastures, and sometimes they call me if they see something amiss. It is nice to have extra eyes watching the place and the animals.

7) What's the most recent magazine you flipped through?


A. Writer's Digest.

8)  Could your vehicle use a trip to the car wash right now?


A. Yes, it could. We just came in and we were driving in the rain. My driveway, which is about 1/4 of a mile long, is gravel. The thing always needs a bath.

9) Did you hit the snooze button this morning?


A. I woke up before the alarm went off, actually, and did something I seldom do: I turned on the TV. I wanted to see the weather forecast.

10 comments:

  1. It's nice that you have so much history with your neighbor. And it's cool that she's still working at Kroger.

    ReplyDelete




  2. 1) In this song, our hero offers to take his girl down to the river to catch a catfish dinner. what is your favorite seafood?

    A. I love scallops. Shrimp comes in second.

    2) Luke Bryan went to Georgia State University, home of the Panthers. What was your school mascot?

    A. We had the Walker County Vikings. (That's in Alabama)


    3) Have you ever tried acupuncture?

    A. No, have never been interested.

    4) Just last night, Crazy Sam threw away a jar of Miracle Whip because it expired in September 2013. Is your refrigerator neat and organized? Or is it a disaster area, like Sam's?

    A. I wish you'd asked about the pantry instead of the refrigerator. The pantry I did this morning... can't remember when I did the frig.

    5) Which is more important to you -- saving time or saving money?

    A. I like to save both.

    6) Sam's next door neighbor is named Jim. He's retired, smokes a pipe and drives a red Corolla. Tell us about one of your neighbors.

    A. One of my neighbors is my son-in-law without whom I would be lost. He comes running everytime I need something fixed. He's not very social but would do anything for you. He loves puttering around in his workshop and that's his favorite place since he retired.

    7) What's the most recent magazine you flipped through?

    A. Reader's Digest. I love the stories in there and Word Power.

    8) Could your vehicle use a trip to the car wash right now?

    A. Yes, it could. I left it out of the garage last night and it got rained on.

    9) Did you hit the snooze button this morning?

    A. No, I don't use an alarm. I awoke this morning because I was having a bad dream. I was about to fall out a door into an abyss.

    That was fun. We'll have to do the question and answer thingy again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to try acupuncture, but I am not sure medicare covers it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh now I have forgotten the questions ! Let's see well the roosters always wake me up so I rarely need an alarm. The car definitely needs a carwash , although today it is raining. Never tried acupuncture but if I had a free trial , I'd go. Did I say our rooster wake us up EVERY morning .lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny what yo say about the shrimp because a similar thing happened to me about 10 years ago. Now it only happens sometimes which makes me think it has something to do with the processing of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. During the school week I don't hit the snooze but on the weekends (if I have to get up) I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make acupuncture sound worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The driveway must be nice to shovel after a snow storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's weird about the shrimp--I wonder if it does have to do with the oil spill? We think that it's cleaned up and everything is okay, but we don't know the long-term effects. Interesting.

    That's nice that you have neighbors that watch out for you. That's very comforting to know there's people out there who care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been a fan of seafood, have never tried acupuncture and my fridge is generally well-oragnized (probably because there's usually not much in it). It's nice that you have such good neighbors. Mine frequently try my patience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.