Saturday, November 23, 2013

Not Something I Dream About

Saturday 9: Sugar Shack

This song was popular 50 years ago today. Hear it here.

1) In this song, our hero orders espresso. What's your standard coffee order?

A. I don't drink coffee. I think I've had maybe five cups of coffee in my entire life. One of the first cups of coffee I remember drinking was purchased for me by a hobo I was interviewing for the newspaper, who would not talk to me unless I sat down with him over coffee. The last cup I drank, also while performing an interview for the newspaper, sent me to the hospital and I had my gallbladder removed. Really.

2) Originally the phrase "sugar shack" meant a small cabin where sap from maple trees was boiled into syrup. So for breakfast today, would you rather pour syrup on pancakes, french toast or waffles?

A. Pancakes. I am not a fan of French toast. Waffles are okay.

3) The name of the group that recorded this song is The Fireballs. "Fireballs" is also the brand name of a red hot jawbreaker. Do you like cinnamon?

A. Yes, sometimes. It's supposed to be good for your blood sugar, you know.

4) In 1963, when this song was a hit, newscaster Walter Cronkite was one of the most trusted and influential men in the country. Do you have a favorite TV newsperson?

A.  I have always liked Dan Rather and Diane Sawyer. I thought CBS treated Dan Rather very shabbily when they let him go. Diane Sawyer has always been a good reporter, diligent with the facts and unbiased in her questioning. Ann Compton must also rank up there as a favorite, because she graduated from my alma mater and went on to be a White House correspondent.

5) The Rambler was named 1963 Car of the Year by Motor Trend, and their most popular model was a 9-passenger station wagon. What's the car of your dreams?

A. A car is not something I dream about. But I would like to have a new Toyota Camry when the time comes. My husband, on the other hand, does dream about such things and I think he would like a red Ferrari.

6) The Zip Code was first introduced in 1963. How many different Zip Codes have you had throughout your life? 

A. Three.

7) What was the first thing you thought about when you woke up this morning?

A. I don't know. Probably something along the lines of "I need to pee" or "I need my pain medication."

8) Are you a good pool player?

A. I am not the best but I am not the worst, either.

9) Do you actually make a wish when you blow out your birthday candles?

A. No.


8 comments:

  1. I don't like having birthday candles any more on my cake - there's too many of them. But when I do - I always make a wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize cinnamon is good for your blood sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh--I forgot about Ann Compton--I do like her, even though I don't run across her too often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom puts a teaspoon of cinnamon in her coffee every morning. She is diabetic. But I guess you won't be doing THAT any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have had 26 zip codes in my life.....lost track. LOL. Love coffee. Love pancakes, waffles, French toast. Fireballs?, um, no thanks. What else did you ask? Lost track of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'd ever make myself get out of bed if it wasn't for needing to pee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cinnamon! Good to know it's rather good for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like cinnamon and cinnamon rolls, but don't care for the hotter cinnamon like Red Hots. I also usually watch ABC World News with Diane Sawyer (Charles Gibson and Peter Jennings before her).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.