Monday, August 12, 2013

Books: At Home

At Home: A Short History of Private Life
By Bill Bryson
473 pages
Copyright 2010

I had not read Bill Bryson's work before, though I had heard of it, particularly his book A Walk in the Woods.

In this book, Bryson explores the stuff and the rooms of a home, particularly his home, and explains how come forks have four tines and things like that.

Since I enjoy things like that, and am a history buff, I really liked the book and the way it was written. Having said that, I confess to not finishing it simply because it made me tired. I was reading this for my book club, and book club came and went, and I have not been too interested in picking this back up because I wanted to read some fiction.

However, I do intend to finish this at some point. I think it is important to note that you could skip around if you wanted and not miss anything, because this isn't a story with a thread of any sort. It's a bunch of interesting facts and annotations and commentary all weaved together, room by room.

I learned a lot in the 275 pages that I have finished and I expect to learn much more when I do come back to this book.

I highly recommend this if you're interested in history and would like to know more about the world around you.

1 comment:

  1. that sounds kind of interesting and one that i could easily read along side another book, such as fiction like you said...i'll have to check for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.