Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thursday Thirteen

Yoga is a popular form of exercise, though some circuits in my area eschew it as a religion. I tend to think of it as a lifestyle moreso than any kind of religion, but what do I know.

My experience with yoga has been limited to videos and Wii Fit. Which is the same thing as saying I have practically no experience with it. I would like to become proficient at it and admire the people I know who practice yoga on a regular basis.

Anyway, here are 13 different types of yoga; any swarmy commentary is mine, of course, and is just me trying to be amusing.

1. Hatha Yoga. Probably the most popular type in the USA. It is used to achieve a balance of mind and body. It uses traditional yoga poses and encompasses a lot of different styles.

2. Ashtanga Yoga: Yoga on speed. It involves fast-paced sequences of postures that increase in difficulty.


3. Power yoga: Yoga on steroids. It is like Ashtanga except more like a workout, with an emphasis on body toning.

4. Forrest: Yoga for the trees. This contemporary yoga involves deep breathing, core strengthening exercises, and holding postures for long periods of time. It is supposed to purify and strengthen and promotes the release of negative emotions and pain.


5. Viniyoga: Yoga for the drinker. This is a gentle yoga. Breathing is synchronized with the poses.


6. Bikram: Yoga for the structured. This is a series of 26 poses, all done in a really hot room so that you sweat.

7. Kundalini: Yoga for the Energy Drinkers. This yoga is supposed to stimulate the energy located at the base of the spine. The released energy is supposed to bring about well-being and awareness.


8. Bharata: Yoga for the straight and narrow. This yoga helps align the spine, increase mobility, and improve posture.

9. Dru: Yoga for the peaceful. This is a series of poses that, when performed in sequence, are supposed to help you find tranquility and strength and a sense of well-being.


10. Ananda: Yoga for the thinker. This series of hatha yoga poses is supposed to prepare you for meditation. It promotes growth and self-awareness.


11. Anusara: The word literally means "to step into the current of divine will." It is supposed to promote awareness and well-being along with body alignment.

12. Swara: Yoga for the asthmatics. This yoga is a series of poses that deal with breathing and proper breathing practices.


13. Laughter yoga: Yoga for the comics. Unconditional laughter combined with appropriate breathing practice and movements.


Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here. I've been playing for a while and this is my 277th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

10 comments:

  1. Who knew there were so many types of yoga. I have a basic yoga DVD, but can't say I'm any better at doing that than I am the walking DVD. :-|
    My T13

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't know there were so many kinds of yoga. Cool.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2013/01/contests-thumbs-up-or-thumbs-down.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoga is a religion? When did that happen? LOL! One day, I'll be able to choose a type and practice it myself - I love the idea of a truly centered, focused practice that isn't a "workout" but still releases stress and aids physical fitness.

    Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done some hatha yoga in the long ago past but it never stuck. Laughter yoga was a little more my style but plain old dancing is the most fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ironic, I just got home from Yoga class. We do a mix of Yoga and Pilates.

    http://harrietandfriends.com/2013/01/1-fiscal-cliff/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realise there were so many different types of yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  7. huh, I've only heard of 4 of those. each world has so many worlds inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a valuable list! I keep seeing these phrases tossed about but had no idea what they meant until now. (Though I am skeptical about #13.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I just thought yoga was yoga, plain and simple. Quite an educational list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.