Thursday, October 07, 2010

Thursday Thirteen


Autumn is one of my two favorite seasons (the other being Spring) and so I thought I'd celebrate by listing 13 reasons for this season.

1. The leaf color. Those wonderful reds, oranges, and gold from Mother Nature leave me breathless as Autumn takes over my beloved Blue Ridge Mountains.

2. Cooler weather. After a summer which had more than 50 ninety-degree days in its number, the break from the heat is exceedingly welcome.




3. School. I don't go to school anymore but I used to be quite the geek. I loved school and I miss taking classes.

4. Halloween. This is my favorite holiday although I don't really celebrate it. I have always enjoyed the scare and the idea of honoring the dead (although I don't think trick or treat quite does that). Boo!

5. Thanksgiving. Yes, Thanksgiving is still in Autumn! It's a great holiday and a wonderful reminder to count your blessings.

6. Winter squash. I love butternut squash, acorn squash... even pumpkins! Yum.


7. Turning on the heat on a chilly morning. It's like magic!

8. Watching the fog rise from Catawba Creek and Stone Coal Gap and up into the sky.

9. Seeing deer romp in the front yard, and watching young bucks with velvet turn into strapping, huge-bodied deer with horns.



10. Autumn festivals that feature apple-butter making, pumpkins, banjo music, and crafts.

11. Apples! I love apples, apple cider, apple butter, apple pie, cooked apples . . . even better than squash! Yum!


12. New television season. I haven't found much on that I care to watch but at least there is something different to see.

13. The end of humidity for a while. Thank goodness!



Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here.  I've been playing for a number of years and this is my 159th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

11 comments:

  1. We're not seeing much color in the leaves yet around our place. *taps foot as she waits*

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I love the changing leaves, new apples and huge pumpkins. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Autumn...and especially Halloween [I have been handing out 'treats' on my blog and will continue all month if you'd like to pick one up---on my sidebar]. And the cooler weather. We woke up this morning to 56 degrees. Now, that's downright cool for our side of the country!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. memories that never fade for me I'm from your part of the country..sk

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite holiday and beautiful pictures to go with it, thanks so much!

    Happy T13,

    ~Xakara
    13 Foods For Breast Health

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a very energizing season, crisp and colorful! Love that buck by the tree with the foliage behind him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall is my favorite time of the year besides Christmas. I have to agree with number 3 and be a geek too. I always say I could have easily spent my life as a full time college student! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are just starting to get some color in our trees here.


    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/10/hey-reeses-cup-36-cal-doesnt-mean-you-can-eat-two/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Autumn is my favorite month, for many of the same reasons you mentioned. Apples (last week's topic), cooler temps, the color (I posted pics of sumac Mon)...it's all good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We like ALL the same things! Nice photos, especially the one with the cloud shadows on the mountainside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Autumn is my fav season as well. Great pics. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.