Sunday, August 02, 2009

The Captain's Helmet

My husband turned 50 on June 2 and I threw him a party at the fire station.

But I did not give him his present because it had yet to arrive.

Yesterday, finally, his helmet (ordered in April) came in.



It is nice and shiny but once it has been in a fire it won't be that for long. It meets all the certifications and specifications for safety and security.



That long thing hanging down is to protect my husband's neck. He has a scar on his neck from a burn he received during an apartment fire about 20 years. A piece of burning wood fell down between his helmet and collar and singed him rather badly.



I hope this new helmet will keep my sweetie safe until he retires, which is still a few years away.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful helmet. Thoughtful gift. I know that FF are really proud of their helmets and this one is great! GOOD JOB!!!

    Did he have to go to the dialysis center fire? I can't remember if E-3 was on the list that I saw. That's my first due station too by the way! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita...this is such a loving gift. Something to protect him. Wonderful!

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - he was not on duty the day of the dialysis center fire. But if you get a chance to meet Captain Firebaugh, I hope you introduce yourself!
    Di - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a handsome helmet---I know it means a lot to your husband that you gave him such a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! By the way, you have an award waiting for you over on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an impressive hat! What a special gift for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! My son used to wear one for days when he was 4. And why do I keep wanting to add a 1 to make it say 13?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.