Friday, January 23, 2009

Books: Ain't She Sweet

Ain't She Sweet
By Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Audiobook performed by Melissa Leo
Copyright 2003
6 hours/abridged

This is not the kind of book I normally read but apparently I was hard up for good literature the day I was in the library looking for something to listen to in the car.

This is a chick lit southern style. Sugar Beth was a very popular and very nasty teenager. She's returned home after three marriages, two dead parents and numerous years to claim what little is left of her inheritance after her father left it all to his half sister by his mistress (complicated already, eh?)

Throw in a former high school teacher whom Sugar Beth accused of inappropriate fondling, and whose teaching career she ruined, and you have to wonder what kind of small town this is. Definitely not a very nice one, because the other characters in the book are shrewd and unforgiving. Some are even downright mean.

There is redemption and forgiveness, finally, and growth of character. This is a good thing.


3 stars for character building

4 comments:

  1. I just finished "Later, at the Bar." It's a novel in short stories. If you love quirky, country characters that are so real it's funny and painful at the same time, check it out. My library had it. It's pretty new. It's by Rebecca Barry.

    www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, putting on my list to read, or listen to. I've enjoyed your other book recommendations so far :)
    Have you read "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons"? That was a good read!
    I might order that from the library on audio.

    Have you read the Big Stone Gap series? I read them a while back but ordered them recently on audio, read by the author. The last one wasn't available from the author and was read by Cassandra King. Couldn't stand the way she butchered the accents/voices since I've already heard them done correctly by the author so I'm waiting patiently for the one read by Adriana herself to be availabe. Right now I'm listening to Queen of the Big Time by the same, and am enjoying that. This one is read by Cassandra King and it's ok since I don't have any other accents/voices to compare her to now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, since you like Fannie Flagg too, have you read "Standing in the Rainbow" and the sequel "Can't Wait To Get To Heaven"?
    I just finished both of those on audio, read by Fannie Flagg. I loved the stories and characters, but then I love her style anyway. And I can listen to her read for hours on end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I'm glad it had a good ending. I despise the ones that don't. They are the sort that leave you with a sense of, "Why did I just read that?" (or listen to that)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.