Thursday, October 09, 2008

Thursday Thirteen


1. Autumn is the time of year for change!

2. Most noticeably are the leaves. Brilliant oranges and bright yellows. I wonder if the reds this year will be muted or spectacular?

3. The grass starts dying out, too. Thank goodness we don't have to mow the yard so much!

4. The deer are starting to rut. The bucks are moving from spending time with each other to seeking out the does. The does are busy ignoring them for the moment, as it is still too early in the date...

5. The drop in temperature is also quite noticeable. Nothing like those chilly nights.

6. Those chilly nights mean fires in the fireplace. A glass of wine and time with my baby!

7. The advent of Autumn also means football. Rah! Rah! Go Big Red!

8. It also means the return of school. Classes have been in session since August, of course, but for some reason this time of year I miss being in a classroom. The camaraderie, the smell of pencils and paper, the joy of learning - Fall brings all of that to me in a rush.

9. Autumn also means the return of winter gourds. I like to buy acorn squash and other kinds of squash and see how best to prepare them. Sometimes I cook them up like a sweet potato and put some brown sugar and butter on them. Yum.

10. Autumn also means locally grown apples. Ikenberry Orchards has an apple called Ginger Gold that I think is wonderful. It's like a cross between a Golden Delicious and a Granny Smith. It's a very sweet apple. I bet it would make a really good caramel apple, although it might be too sweet.

11. And then there are pumpkins. My goodness what would we do without the jack-o-lantern to brighten door stoops and to give us pie?

12. This is also the time of ghosties and goblins and flights of fancy and imagination. As the dying leaves blow across the road, aren't you sure you saw horses pulling a stage coach as you shuffled along that dark and foggy road where someone was murdered?

13. And then of course there is HALLOWEEN! Boo!



Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; you can learn more about it here. My other Thursday Thirteens are here.

4 comments:

  1. I love autumn...and am looking forward to feeling good enough to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leaves are turning brown much faster this year, don't you think? My trees seem to be skipping the reds and yellows... but I sure do love these cooler temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is my favorite time. The fires, fresh apples and cozy nights are all great, and the excitment of the upcoming holidays too. We are heading to the pumpkin patch this weekend. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is nice when it's not raining! I love the pumpkins and of course, Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.